Route

Monday, July 1, 2024

The Pot Pourri Lady of Baden Baden

 We set off to see a bit of Baden Baden and visit the Roman baths. The last time I was here I was with Paula and went to the modern spa, this time I planned to see the older genuine Roman baths. We walked through the old part of the city which I have described to you before (when I was here with Paula). There was a lady sitting on a stool in the street dressed all in purple, Laua Ashley style. She was surrounded by baskets filled with pot pourri and bright netting and materials, and she was making little posies for people. I told my Friend to stand behind her and I took a photo of her sitting, surrounded by the baskets and people, with my Friend in the background. 

She heard the flash of the camera and turned saying in German "What are you doing Miss?" I pretended I didn't understand and we walked off at a normal pace. We got about halfway up the road when we heard "Frauline, Frauline,". There she came, her hat bobbing up and down, marching towards us. 

She proceeded to give me a screaming lecture about how you can't sneak up on people and take their photo in Germany, you have to get permission. "Wind that photo back" she demanded, "Wind it back!" Well, we were just very calm, apologized, and she went away. I was in shock, apart from the fact that it is impossible to wind a photo back.


No comments:

Post a Comment